Monday 19 August 2013

Girlfanning Tavi

She's a style icon. She's 17. She's eloquent. She's intelligent. She's funny. She's Tavi (she's one of those people who don't really need a last name). And she spoke to me at the Opera House (not mentioning the several thousand other young women and teenage girls who were there!) 

I was entranced by her presence and how beautifully she pulled off that simple black dress. It's all a teenager could ever dream of, seeing and meeting their idol, and yesterday I achieved just that. 

Her speech was so inspirational. The words just rolled off her tongue but they seemed like a bible about being a teenager. 

I learned a lot from Tavi's talk:
- she has amazing hair
- she doesn't give a damn about what others think
-I should surround myself with people and things that make me happy and inspire me
-AND she told me she loved my crown

Some things to remember: Tavi is just a normal 17 year old who experiences real things just like we do. Ok, so we don't all get to hang out with Winona Ryder or Sofia Coppola but she still struggles with things and gets her heart broken just like everyone else. She says she's still trying to figure it all out. She says we shouldn't waste time, we should embrace who we are, and we can care about fashion and still be a feminist. 

Not everyone will 'get' Tavi. She's for those of us who have a DIY fashion sense, love Indie bands and old 70s hits (think Dolly Parton and Stevie Nicks), slacker cartoons and movies and don't think there's anything wrong with wearing a paper crown in public. That's Ok. For those of us who do, she's amazing.

I'm struggling to sum up yesterday in a nutshell without becoming emotional and overly excited. But I will always remember our hug, our moment, her liking my Instagram photo and I'll always wish I said something slightly more intelligent than "I love your nails"! But hey, it's not everyday you meet Tavi Gevinson and I was having a Tavi-struck moment. I'm sure you'll understand. 

 Lilyx

2 comments:

  1. Totally understand a Tavi-struck moment, what a great photo of the two of you! She looks so different when she's smiling/being normal! I've gotten so used to seeing her in magazines etc looking serious! Sounds like it was a great talk, would have loved to have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really lovely seeing her in person. Hopefully she will come back to Sydney soon so you can go and see her! It was definitely life changing :)

    ReplyDelete