Saturday 20 July 2013

Indie flicks that changed my life

Well, they didn't quite change my life but they are certainly my filmic favourites. Whenever I sit down to watch them I am transported into their worlds and feel like I could jump into the screen and be one of them. I almost always get emotional in movies and I believe I cried in most of these films. Don't really know why, but I guess sometimes I can really relate to the wonderful characters. Whether you watch them on a rainy day, a night home alone or tucked up in your bed you will surely enjoy them. So here they are, the movies that 'almost' changed my life.

GHOST WORLD (2001)
Whether we like it or not, Enid and Rebecca hate the world and everyone in it. As Enid quotes, "God. How can you stand all these assholes?"Ghost World shows us all what it's like to be a teenager wandering around a non-descript, American town. Or, for that matter, a teenager wandering around aimlessly in any non-descript town. It's a must watch for everyone who dislikes mankind. 




WIN WIN (2011)

This was a serious tear jerker for me. I couldn't stop the flow of tears rushing down my face. A sad excuse for an attorney, Mike, stumbles across a star athlete, a teenage boy. He joins the high school wrestling team and is taken in by Mike and his family. Then his mother threatens to take him back and ruin his relationship with his 'other' family. Watch and see what happens.





VIRGIN SUICIDES (1999)

I waited rather a few years to be 'mature enough' to watch The Virgin Suicides and I can tell you that all those years were worth it! The gorgeous, mysterious sisters are sheltered by their highly religious parents after their younger sister commits suicide. Their rooms are filled with masses of coloured beads, candles and pastel colours. I'm sure any teenage girl would die for a room just like the sisters'. (Not literally of course). Feast your eyes on the gorgeous girls and their troubled lives.
THE BREAKFAST CLUB (1985)

The film that outlines all the teenage stereotypes. You've got the brain, the athlete, the basket case, the princess and the criminal. The Breakfast Club opens our eyes to the world of reckless teens stuck in a Saturday detention. The highlight for me is the final song 'Don't you forget about me' which basically sums up the whole film. I suggest you watch and learn how to survive weekend detention. 



MOONRISE KINGDOM (2012)
By far the most inspiring and gorgeous love story in the history of love! Two young lovers are determined to meet and flee their New England town to be together. Set in the 1960s, the fashion, record players and homes couldn't be more amazing and Wes Anderson has officially made my favourite movie! Suzy and Sam are a match made in heaven and Shakusky is the perfect boy. If you love music, the 60s, amazing quotes and truly brilliant acting you will certainly love Moonrise Kingdom!


MATILDA (1996)

We all dreamed of having a teacher as lovely as Miss Honey and we surely remember Matilda's awful family. I was always jealous of her wonderful brain and super powers. And the scariest childhood memory was the chokey. I guess you will have to watch it and find out. It was surely my childhood favourite flick and is certainly nostalgic. 




FANTASTIC MR FOX (2009)
Another Wes Anderson classic. The gorgeous animation is filled with the cutest of animals from foxes to rabbits and badgers. He certainly is a fantastic fox with a wild side. He secretly raids farms and collects food with his sidekick, a possum. He faces the meanest of farmers and tries to save his family from the worst of circumstances. There are certainly some incredible quotes. One of my favourites is "What the cuss?!" I suggest you gather your friends and watch a quality animation. 
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990)
My favourite Johnny Depp film! The tragic story of Edward and his struggles (he has plenty of them considering he his scissors for hands). It's a wonderful classic and gets your emotions flowing. I will never forget my favourite scenes, "Avon calling". Oh how I wish they still door knocked! Definitely one of Tim Burton's best.




JUNO (2007)
One of the few movies that deals with unplanned, teenage pregnancy, which shows the 16 year old's life over four seasons of the year. She must make a serious decision regarding her baby and Bleeker, her best friend. It's a comedy about growing up and making life changing decisions. I had many chuckles but it also made me think about her challenges. Definitely tells a story worth watching!




LARS AND THE REAL GIRL (2008)
I just finished watching this truly gorgeous film. I seemed to be holding back the tears (and letting most out) the whole time. Ryan Gosling is truly amazing and as Lars he falls in love with a doll he buys on the internet. It is billed as a comedy but I couldn't stop thinking how tragic it all was! His brother and sister in law are initially very confronted, along with the whole town. But things change and that's the magic of this movie. I really do recommend this heartfelt film and I even enjoyed seeing Ryan Gosling pale and slightly pudgy. 



So, I hope you now go to your local DVD shop and rent one of these films. Pop some popcorn, cuddle up with ones you love and enjoy the film!

Lilyx
                  

3 comments:

  1. LOVE every single movie on the list, except I havent watched "win win"! I will now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed Win Win. It's a lovely film :)

      Delete
  2. The Breakfast Club is just a work of art!

    ReplyDelete