Sunday 2 February 2014

school, copycats and the game of friendship

So sadly the holidays are over, school has once again begun and I find myself trapped between concrete walls of 'copycats' and dodgy friends. 

They've always said imitation is the best form of flattery but I can't help but feel a little irritated when I discover a new band, new pair of shoes, or a new something special-to-me-thing-in-life only to discover that once posted on my Instagram account it's soon blatantly and shamelessly mimicked. 

Going back to school has always been one of those awkward moments for me and I felt as though I was met by my mirror image once I had stepped into the school hall.

Yes, I understand no one is completely original. We are all inspired by others but it's important to acknowledge your fangirling and your style icons too. And I guess the point I'm trying to make is there is a huge difference between style 'inspiration' and cloning. I now feel as though I'm not as individual and unique as I once was as someone is constantly watching and taking note of every minuscule thing I take interest in. 

So, should we be flattered or annoyed that someone is copying us? It definitely depends on whether they are a close friend or an acquaintance. Close friends should know better or know to at least acknowledge where they got their ideas from. On the other hand, acquaintances are always the first to say they find you inspiring and that's utterly rad!

Hopefully school is treating you all well.

Lilyx

2 comments:

  1. this is so relevant to everyone, u go girlfriend school sucks

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks girl! School certainly isn't too good at the moment. Hopefully it's slightly better for you xxx

    ReplyDelete